About Christian Science
Christian Science, discovered by Mary Baker Eddy, refers to the universal, practical system of spiritual, prayer-based healing available to everyone.
It is a system of care based on Christ Jesus' teaching, through which individuals have found better emotional and physical health, answers to life's deepest issues and progress on their spiritual journeys.
"Our Master taught no mere theory, doctrine, or belief. It was the divine Principle of all real being which he taught and practised. His proof of Christianity was no form or system of religion and worship, but Christian Science, working out the harmony of Life and Love."
pg. 26 Science and Health with Key to The Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy
Christian Science is fully explained in Mrs. Eddy's primary text on spirituality and healing, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures.
Science and Health at a glance . . .
- People from all walks of life have found this book to be a practical spiritual guide, regardless of religion, culture, occupation, education or age.
- Ten million copies sold since publication in 1875. More than one million copies sold since 1996.
- Sold in 80+ countries at more than 3,000 bookstores and 2,000 Christian Science Reading Rooms. Also available through online stores, on CD or streaming audio, Amazon Kindle edition, Barnes & Noble Nook edition.
- Available in 17 languages plus English Braille.
- Used and recommended by healthcare professionals and others; on the suggested reading list since 1995 at the Harvard Medical School's annual symposium "Spirituality & Healing in Medicine."
In writing and publishing Science and Health, Eddy wanted to make the healing system she discovered available to the whole world. That is why she dedicates her book to all "honest seekers for Truth."
Tenets of Christian Science
- As adherents of Truth, we take the inspired Word of the Bible as our sufficient guide to eternal Life.
- We acknowledge and adore one supreme and infinite God. We acknowledge His Son, one Christ; the Holy Ghost or divine Comforter; and man in God's image and likeness.
- We acknowledge God's forgiveness of sin in the destruction of sin and the spiritual understanding that casts out evil as unreal. But the belief in sin is punished so long as the belief lasts.
- We acknowledge Jesus' atonement as the evidence of divine, efficacious Love, unfolding man's unity with God through Christ Jesus the Way-shower; and we acknowledge that man is saved through Christ, through Truth, Life, and Love as demonstrated by the Galilean Prophet in healing the sick and overcoming sin and death.
- We acknowledge that the crucifixion of Jesus and his resurrection served to uplift faith to understand eternal Life, even the allness of Soul, Spirit, and the nothingness of matter.
- And we solemnly promise to watch, and pray for that Mind to be in us which was also in Christ Jesus; to do unto others as we would have them do unto us; and to be merciful, just, and pure.